Thesis Committee Approval
- By May of Year 2
- Forms needed: Request for Approval of Thesis Committee - For students matriculating into the program BEFORE the Fall 2015, please use this form.
- Prerequisites: Student must have passed the Qualifying Exam.
- Purpose: A student’s thesis committee has the responsibility of advising the student on all aspects of the thesis, from preparation to defense. Students are strongly encouraged to meet with their committees at least once per year.
1. Along with your advisor, choose the remaining committee members carefully based on area of research, etc. Thesis Committee Member Requirements:
a) Committee must have at least five members.
b) All members should be active faculty or medical doctors with academic research and supervision experience. Industry professionals may be suitable with Graduate Committee approval.
c) Committee makeup must display a balance between “engineers” and “bioscientists.”
d) The primary advisor or one of the co-advisors must be BME Program Faculty.
e) Three members must be BME Program Faculty.
f) One member must have no affiliation with BME (not Primary or Program faculty).
g) A co-advisor cannot be counted as one of the five required committee members (Exception: Co-advisor of a PKU student can count as a required committee member).
2. Submit completed Request for Approval of Thesis Committee form to the Graduate Program Coordinator.
- Students should contact their proposed committee members for their individual approvals prior to submission.
- A short justification of committee makeup and a 2-3 page CV must accompany the submitted form for all non-BME members.