Areas of Research
- Neural Tissue Engineering
- Targeted Drug Delivery for Brain Tumor Therapy
- Peripheral & Central Nerve Regeneration
- Electrode-Brain Interfaces
- Long circulating contrast agents
- Polymeric Biomaterials
- Markey Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Brain and Cognitive Sciences, M.I.T., Cambridge, MA 1994-1995
- Ph.D., Brown University, 1994
- B.E., Osmania University College of Engineering, 1989
- Secretarial Appointee, VA Rehabilitation Merit Review Board, 2007 – present
- Georgia Cancer Coalition Distinguished Cancer Scholar, 2006 – present
- Elected, AIMBE College of Fellows, 2006
- Recipient of the 2005 Global Indus Technovators Awards, conferred by IBC at M.I.T.
- ‘Best Professor’ Award conferred by the undergraduate student body of the Wallace H. Coulter Department of Biomedical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology/Emory University. May 2005.
Selected Research Publications
- Lee H-J, McKeon R, Bellmakonda RV. 2009. Sustained delivery of thermostabilized chABC enhances axonal sprouting and functional recovery after spinal cord injury. Accepted, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
- Karathanasis E, Leslie Chan, Lohitash Karumbaiah, Kathleen McNeeley, Carl D'Orsi, Ananth Annapragada, Ioannis Sechopoulos, Bellamkonda RV. 2009. Tumor vascular permeability to a nanoprobe correlates to tumor-specific expression levels of angiogenic markers.PLoS ONE 4:e5843.
- McNeeley K, Karathanasis E, Annapragada AV, Bellamkonda RV. 2009. Masking and triggered unmasking of targeting ligands on nanocarriers to improve drug delivery to brain tumors. Biomaterials 30:3986-95.
- Karathanasis E, Suryanarayanan S, Balusu SR, McNeeley K, Sechopoulos I, Karellas A, Annapragada AV, Bellamkonda RV. 2009. Imaging nanoprobe for prediction of nanoparticle chemotherapy using mammography. Radiology, 250(2):398.
- Kim Y-T, Haftel VK, Kumar S, Bellamkonda RV. 2008. The role of aligned polymer fiber-based constructs in the bridging of long peripheral nerve gaps. Biomaterials 29:3117.
- He W, McConnell G, Schneider T, Bellamkonda RV. 2007. A Novel Anti-inflammatory Surface for Neural Electrodes. Advanced Materials 19(21): 3529.