Ravi Bellamkonda, Ph.D.
Carol Ann and David D. Flanagan Chair in Biomedical Engineering
GCC Distinguished Scholar
Associate Vice President for Research
Wallace H. Coulter Dept. of Biomedical Engineering
Georgia Institute of Technology
Atlanta, GA 30332-0535
Location: GT: BME - 3108
Google Scholar: CLICK HERE
Areas of Research
- Neural Tissue Engineering
- Targeted Drug Delivery for Brain Tumor Therapy
- Peripheral & Central Nerve Regeneration
- Electrode-Brain Interfaces
- Long circulating contrast agents
- Polymeric Biomaterials
- Markey Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Brain and Cognitive Sciences, M.I.T., Cambridge, MA 1994-1995
- Ph.D., Brown University, 1994
- B.E., Osmania University College of Engineering, 1989
- Secretarial Appointee, VA Rehabilitation Merit Review Board, 2007 – present
- Georgia Cancer Coalition Distinguished Cancer Scholar, 2006 – present
- Elected, AIMBE College of Fellows, 2006
- Recipient of the 2005 Global Indus Technovators Awards, conferred by IBC at M.I.T.
- ‘Best Professor’ Award conferred by the undergraduate student body of the Wallace H. Coulter Department of Biomedical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology/Emory University. May 2005.
Selected Research Publications
- Lee H-J, McKeon R, Bellmakonda RV. 2009. Sustained delivery of thermostabilized chABC enhances axonal sprouting and functional recovery after spinal cord injury. Accepted, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
- Karathanasis E, Leslie Chan, Lohitash Karumbaiah, Kathleen McNeeley, Carl D'Orsi, Ananth Annapragada, Ioannis Sechopoulos, Bellamkonda RV. 2009. Tumor vascular permeability to a nanoprobe correlates to tumor-specific expression levels of angiogenic markers.PLoS ONE 4:e5843.
- McNeeley K, Karathanasis E, Annapragada AV, Bellamkonda RV. 2009. Masking and triggered unmasking of targeting ligands on nanocarriers to improve drug delivery to brain tumors. Biomaterials 30:3986-95.
- Karathanasis E, Suryanarayanan S, Balusu SR, McNeeley K, Sechopoulos I, Karellas A, Annapragada AV, Bellamkonda RV. 2009. Imaging nanoprobe for prediction of nanoparticle chemotherapy using mammography. Radiology, 250(2):398.
- Kim Y-T, Haftel VK, Kumar S, Bellamkonda RV. 2008. The role of aligned polymer fiber-based constructs in the bridging of long peripheral nerve gaps. Biomaterials 29:3117.
- He W, McConnell G, Schneider T, Bellamkonda RV. 2007. A Novel Anti-inflammatory Surface for Neural Electrodes. Advanced Materials 19(21): 3529.