Areas of Research
- Cardiovascular fluid dynamics
- Optimization of Cardiovascular Surgeries
- Surgical Planning
- Use of MRI and 3D Echo to study blood flow patterns in cardiovascular structures
- Tissue engineering of heart valves
- Ph.D., Chemical Engineering, California Institute of Technology, 1978
- B.S. (Hons.) First Class, Chemical Engineering, University College, University of London, England, 1973
- Chair, Cardiovascular Sub-Committee, International Standards Organization TC 150, 2004-08
- Board of Directors, Biomedical Engineering Society, 2004-2007
- Theo Pilkington award for Biomedical Engineering Education, American Society of Education, June 2005
- H. R. Lissner Award, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 1997 (highest award for Bioengineering in ASME)
- Founding Fellow, American Institute of Medical and Biological Engineering, 1992
Selected Research Publications
- Sacks MS, Yoganathan AP. Heart valve function: a biomechanical perspective. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London Biological Sciences. 2008 Jul 27;363(1502):2481.
- Sucosky P, Padala M, Elhammali A, Balachandran K, Jo H, Yoganathan AP. Design of an ex vivo culture system to investigate the effects of shear stress on cardiovascular tissue. J Biomech Eng. 2008 Jun;130(3):035001.
- Dasi LP, Pekkan K, Kitajima HD, Yoganathan AP. Functional analysis of Fontan energy dissipation. J Biomech. 2008 May 26.
- Frakes DH, Dasi LP, Pekkan K, Kitajima HD, Sundareswaran K, Yoganathan AP, Smith MJ. A new method for registration-based medical image interpolation. IEEE Trans Med Imaging. 2008 Mar;27(3):370-7.
- Jimenez JH, Liou SW, Padala M, He Z, Sacks M, Gorman RC, Gorman JH 3rd, Yoganathan AP. A saddle-shaped annulus reduces systolic strain on the central region of the mitral valve anterior leaflet. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2007 Dec;134(6):1562-8.
- Sundareswaran KS, Kanter KR, Kitajima HD, Krishnankutty R, Sabatier JF, Parks WJ, Sharma S, Yoganathan AP, Fogel M. Impaired power output and cardiac index with hypoplastic left heart syndrome: a magnetic resonance imaging study. Ann Thorac Surg. 2006 Oct;82(4):1267-75; discussion 1275-7.