Areas of Research
- Director of Biocomputing and Bioinformatics Core in Emory-Georgia Tech Cancer Nanotechnology Center, and Co-Director of Georgia Tech Center for Bio-Imaging Mass Spectrometry; 3+ Years of Industrial R&D before 2002;
- Biomedical Big Data Analytics and Dynamic Systems Modeling for Prediction (e.g. molecular pathway dynamics, cellular/tissue dynamics, whole body physiological dynamics);
- Biomedical and Health Informatics (e.g. translational bioinformatics, microscopic imaging informatics, mobile health informatics etc.) for Personalized Health;
- Biomedical Image Analysis for Clinical Decision Support System
- Ph.D. Electrical and Computer Engineering Georgia Institute of Technology, 2000
- M.S. Computer Science Georgia Institute of Technology, 1995
- M.S. Applied Math Georgia Institute of Engineering, 1993
- M.S. Electrical and Computer Eng. Georgia Institute of Technology, 1991
- B.S. Eng. Tsinghua University (Beijing, China), 1989
- Kavli Fellow
- 2014-2015 IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society Distinguished Lecturer
- 2015-2017 IEEE EMBS Administrative Committee Officer (North America)
- “Thank a Teacher” Recognition, Center for the Enhancement of Teaching and Learning (CETL), Georgia Institute of Technology, 2007
- Outstanding Academic Service Award, IEEE SMC and IEEE Bioinformatics and Bioengineering (BIBE) Conference, 2007
- Georgia Tech Outstanding Undergraduate Research Faculty Mentor Award, 2005
- NSF-IEEE EMBS Summer School Distinguished Faculty Member, 2005
- Georgia Research Alliance Distinguished Cancer Scholar, 2004
Selected Research Publications
- Xu D, Wang MD, Zhou FF, and Cai YP, “Health Informatics Data Analysis: Methods and Examples,” Springer; 2015. [Contributing author and co-editor.]
- Wu PY, Phan JH, Chandramohan R, Mahle WT, Maher K, Gaynor JW, and Wang MD. “Cardiovascular genomics bioinformatics using next-generation sequencing: challenges, progress, and opportunities.” Circulation: Cardiovascular Genetics. In Press.
- Cheng C, Chanani N, Venugopalan J, Maher K, and Wang MD. “icuARM – An ICU clinical decision support system using association rule mining.” IEEE Journal of Trans Eng in Health and Medicine. 2013 Dec 23; vol. 1.
- Kaddi CD, Parry RM, and Wang MD. “Multivariate hypergeometric similarity measure for large-scale biological dataset analysis.” IEEE/ACM Transactions on Computational Biology and Bioinformatics. 2013 Nov; 10(6):1505-16.
- Phan JH, Young AN, and Wang MD. “omniBiomarker: a web-based application for knowledge-driven biomarker identification.” IEEE Transactions on Biomed Eng. 2013. 2013 Dec; 60(12): 3364-3367.
- Kothari S, Phan JH, Stokes TH, and Wang MD. “Pathology imaging informatics for quantitative analysis of whole-slide images.” Journal of American Medical Information Association (JAMIA). Nov. 2013. 20(6):1099-1108.
- Kaddi CD, Phan JH, and Wang MD. “Computational nanomedicine: modeling of nanoparticle-mediated hyperthermal cancer therapy.” Nanomedicine. Aug. 2013, Vol.8, No.8; 1323-1333.
- Kothari S, Phan JH, Stokes TH, and Wang MD. “Pathology imaging informatics for quantitative analysis of whole-slide images.” Journal of American Medical Information Association. Nov. 2013. 20(6):1099-1108.
- Kothari S, Phan JH, Young AN, and Wang MD. “Histological image classification using biologically interpretable shape-based features.” BMC Medical Imaging. 2013 Mar; 13:9.
- Quo CF, Kaddi C, Phan JH, Zollanvari A, Xu M, Wang MD (co-corresponding and handling author), and Alterovitz G. “Reverse engineering biomolecular systems using –omics data: challenges, progress, and opportunities.” Briefings in Bioinformatics. 2012 Jul; 13(4): 430-45.
- Moffitt RA, Yin-Goen Q, Stokes TH, Parry RM, Torrance JH, Phan JH, Young AN, and Wang MD. “caCORRECT2: improving accuracy and reliability of microarray data in the presence of artifacts.” BMC Bioinformatics. 2011 Sep; 12:383.
- Parry RM*, Jones W*, Stokes TH* (equal contributing authors), Phan JH, Moffitt RA, Fang H, Shi L, Oberthuer A, Fischer M, Tong W, and Wang MD. “K-nearest neighbors (KNN) models for microarray gene-expression analysis and clinical outcome prediction.” Pharmacogenomics J. 2010 Aug; 10(4): 292-309, and Nature Biotechnology Supplement 2010 Oct; S62-S79.
- Phan JH, Moffitt RA, Stokes TH, Liu J, Young AN, *Nie SM, and *Wang MD (co-corresponding senior authors). “Convergence of biomarkers, bioinformatics and nanotechnology for individualized cancer treatment.” Trends in Biotechnology. 2009 Jun; 27(6): 350-8.
- Xing Y, Qaiser C, Shen C, Kong KY, Zhau HE, Chung LW, Petros JA, O’Regan RM, Yezhelyev MV, Simons JW, *Wang MD, and *Nie SM (co-corresponding senior authors), “Bioconjugated quantum dots for multiplexed and quantitative immunohistochemistry,” Nature Protocols 2(5): 1152-1165, 2007.