Areas of Research
Director of Biocomputing and Bioinformatics Core in Emory-Georgia Tech Cancer Nanotechnology Center, and Co-Director of Georgia Tech Center for Bio-Imaging Mass Spectrometry; Having Several Years of Industrial R&D before 2002;
Dynamic Systems Modeling for Prediction (e.g. molecular pathway dynamics, cellular/tissue dynamics, whole body physiological dynamics);
Biomedical and Health Informatics (e.g. next generation sequencing data analysis, microscopic imaging informatics, mobile health informatics etc.) for Personalized Health;
Biomedical Image Analysis for Clinical Decision Support System
- Ph.D. Electrical and Computer Engineering Georgia Institute of Technology, 2000
- M.S. Computer Science Georgia Institute of Technology, 1995
- M.S. Applied Math Georgia Institute of Engineering, 1993
- M.S. Electrical and Computer Eng. Georgia Institute of Technology, 1991
- B.S. Eng. Tsinghua University (Beijing, China), 1989
- “Thank a Teacher” Recognition, Center for the Enhancement of Teaching and Learning (CETL), Georgia Institute of Technology, 2007
- Outstanding Academic Service Award, IEEE SMC and IEEE Bioinformatics and Bioengineering (BIBE) Conference, 2007
- Georgia Tech Outstanding Undergraduate Research Faculty Mentor Award, 2005
- NSF-IEEE EMBS Summer School Distinguished Faculty Member, 2005
- Georgia Cancer Coalition Distinguished Cancer Scholar, 2004
Selected Research Publications
- Wu PY, Phan JH, and Wang MD. The effect of human genome annotation complexity on RNA-seq gene expression quantification. BMC Bioinformatics. In Press.
- Kothari S, Phan JH, Young AN, and Wang MD. “Histological image classification using biologically interpretable shape-based features.” BMC Medical Imaging. 2013 Mar; 13:9.
- Parry RM, Galhena AS, Gamage CM, Bennett RV, Wang MD (co-corresponding and handling author), and Fernandez FM. “OmniSpect: An open MATLAB-based tool for visualization and analysis of matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization and desorption electrospray ionization mass spectrometry images.” J Am Soc Mass Spectrometry. 2013 Feb; 26:1-4.
- Quo CF, Kaddi C, Phan JH, Zollanvari A, Xu M, Wang MD (co-corresponding and handling author), and Alterovitz G. “Reverse engineering biomolecular systems using –omics data: challenges, progress, and opportunities.” Briefings in Bioinformatics. 2012 Jul; 13(4): 430-45.
- Moffitt RA, Yin-Goen Q, Stokes TH, Parry RM, Torrance JH, Phan JH, Young AN, and Wang MD. “caCORRECT2: improving accuracy and reliability of microarray data in the presence of artifacts.” BMC Bioinformatics. 2011 Sep; 12:383.
- Parry RM*, Jones W*, Stokes TH* (equal contributing authors), Phan JH, Moffitt RA, Fang H, Shi L, Oberthuer A, Fischer M, Tong W, and Wang MD. “K-nearest neighbors (KNN) models for microarray gene-expression analysis and clinical outcome prediction.” Pharmacogenomics J. 2010 Aug; 10(4): 292-309, and Nature Biotechnology Supplement 2010 Oct; S62-S79.
- Phan JH, Moffitt RA, Stokes TH, Liu J, Young AN, *Nie SM, and *Wang MD (co-corresponding senior authors). “Convergence of biomarkers, bioinformatics and nanotechnology for individualized cancer treatment.” Trends in Biotechnology. 2009 Jun; 27(6): 350-8.
- Stokes TH, Torrance JT, Li H, and Wang MD. “ArrayWiki: an enabling technology for sharing public microarray data repositories and meta-analyses.” BMC Bioinformatics. 2008 May 28; 9(Suppl 6): S18.
- Xing Y, Qaiser C, Shen C, Kong KY, Zhau HE, Chung LW, Petros JA, O’Regan RM, Yezhelyev MV, Simons JW, *Wang MD, and *Nie SM (co-corresponding senior authors), “Bioconjugated quantum dots for multiplexed and quantitative immunohistochemistry,” Nature Protocols 2(5): 1152-1165, 2007.