Areas of Research
Biomechanics of cell adhesion and signaling molecules of the immune system and the vascular systems.
- Ph.D., Columbia University, 1988
- M.S., Columbia University, 1985
- B.S., Zhejiang University (PRC), 1982
- 2005, Hemorheology and Microcirculation Award, International Society for Clinical Hemorheology
- 2004, Best Paper Award, Sigma Xi (GA Chapter)
- 2003, Best Ph.D. Thesis Advisor Award, Sigma Xi (GA Chapter)
- 1997-2002, Woodruff Faculty Fellow Award
- 1993-1998, Presidential Faculty Fellow Award, National Science Foundation
- 1993, Best MS Thesis Advisor Award, Sigma Xi (GA Chapter)
- 1991, Dr. Harold Lamport Award for a Young Investigator, Biomedical Engineering Society
- 1991, Y. C. Fung Young Investigator Award, American Society of Mechanical Engineers
Selected Research Publications
- Yago T, Lou J, Wu T, Yang J, Miner JJ, Coburn L, López JA, Cruz MA, Dong J-F, McIntire LV, McEver RM, and Zhu C, Platelet glycoprotein Iba forms catch bonds with human WT vWF but not with type 2B von Willebrand Disease vWF, J. Clin. Invest., 118:3195-3207, 2008.
- Lou J and Zhu C, “Flow induces loop to B-hairpin transition on the B-switch of platelet glycoprotein Iba”, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A., 105:13847–13852, 2008.
- Chen W, Evans EA, McEve, RP, and Zhu C, "Monitoring receptor-ligand interactions between surfaces by thermal fluctuations," Biophys. J., 94:694-701, 2008.
- Zarnitsyna VI, Huang J, Zhang F, Chien Y-H, Leckband DE, and Zhu C, "Memory in receptor-ligand mediated cell adhesion," Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A., 104:18037-18042, 2007.
- Lou J, Yago Y, Klopocki AG, Mehta P, Chen W, Zarnitsyna VI, Bovin NV, Zhu C, and McEver RP. "Flow-enhanced adhesion regulated by a selectin interdomain hinge," J. Cell Biol., 174:1107-1117, 2006.
- Yago T, Wu J, Wey CD, Klopocki AG, Zhu C and McEver RP, "Catch bonds govern adhesion through L-selectin at threshold shear." J. Cell Biol., 166:913-923, 2004.
- Please visit http://www.bme.gatech.edu/groups/zhu/Publication.html for the most updated list of publications.