Cheng Zhu, Ph.D.
Executive Director for International Programs
J. Erskine Love Endowed Chair in Engineering
Wallace H. Coulter Dept. of Biomedical Engineering
Georgia Institute of Technology
Atlanta, GA 30332-0535
Location: GT: IBB - 3312
Google Scholar: CLICK HERE
Areas of Research
Biomechanics of cell adhesion and signaling molecules of the immune system and the vascular systems.
- Ph.D., Columbia University, 1988
- M.S., Columbia University, 1985
- B.S., Zhejiang University (PRC), 1982
- 2005, Hemorheology and Microcirculation Award, International Society for Clinical Hemorheology
- 2004, Best Paper Award, Sigma Xi (GA Chapter)
- 2003, Best Ph.D. Thesis Advisor Award, Sigma Xi (GA Chapter)
- 1997-2002, Woodruff Faculty Fellow Award
- 1993-1998, Presidential Faculty Fellow Award, National Science Foundation
- 1993, Best MS Thesis Advisor Award, Sigma Xi (GA Chapter)
- 1991, Dr. Harold Lamport Award for a Young Investigator, Biomedical Engineering Society
- 1991, Y. C. Fung Young Investigator Award, American Society of Mechanical Engineers
Selected Research Publications
- Liu, B., Chen, W., Evavold, B.D., and Zhu, C. Accumulation of Dynamic Catch Bonds between TCR and Agonist Peptide-MHC Triggers T Cell Signaling. Cell, 157 (2), 357-368, 2014.
- Kong, F., Li, Z., Parks, W.M., Dumbauld, D.W., García, A.J., Mould, A.P., Humphries, M.J., and Zhu, C. Cyclic mechanical reinforcement of integrin–ligand interactions. Molecular Cell, 49 (6), 1060-1068, 2013.
- Jiang, N., Huang, J., Edwards, L.J., Liu, B., Zhang, Y., Beal, C.D., Evavold, B.D., and Zhu, C. Two-stage cooperative T cell receptor-peptide major histocompatibility complex-CD8 trimolecular interactions amplify antigen discrimination. Immunity, 34 (1), 13-23, 2011.
- Huang, J., Zarnitsyna, V.I., Liu, B., Edwards, L.J., Jiang, N., Evavold, B.D., and Zhu, C. The kinetics of two-dimensional TCR and pMHC interactions determine T-cell responsiveness. Nature, 464 (7290), 932-936, 2010.
- Marshall, B.T., Long, M., Piper, J.W., Yago, T., McEver, R.P., and Zhu, C. Direct observation of catch bonds involving cell-adhesion molecules. Nature, 423 (6936), 190-193, 2003.
- Please visit http://www.bme.gatech.edu/groups/zhu/Publication.html for the most updated list of publications.