Areas of Research
Traumatic brain and spinal cord injury, neural tissue engineering, injury biomechanics, neural interfacing, cognitive impairment associated with brain injury and aging
- Ph.D., University of Pennsylvania, 1996
- M.S.E., University of Pennsylvania, 1992
- B.B.E., The Catholic University of America, 1991
- 2008, Atlanta Business Chronicle Health Care Heroes Award for Innovation
- 2001, NSF Career Award
Selected Research Publications
- Cullen, D.K., Stabenfeldt, S.E., Simon, C.M., Tate, C.C., LaPlaca, M.C. An In Vitro Neural Injury Model for Optimization of Tissue Engineered Constructs Journal of Neuroscience Research 85(16):3642-3651, 2007.
- Tate, C.C., Garcia, A.J., LaPlaca, M.C. Plasma Fibronectin is Neuroprotective Following Traumatic Brain Injury Experimental Neurology 207: 13-22, 2007.
- Cullen, D.K., Simon, C.M., LaPlaca, M.C. Strain rate-dependent induction of reactive astrogliosis and cell death in three-dimensional neuronal-astrocytic co-cultures. Brain Research 1158: 103-115, 2007.
- Keselowsky, B.G., Bridges, A.W., Burns, K.L., Tate, C.C., Babensee, J.E., LaPlaca, M.C., García, A.J. Role of Plasma Fibronectin in the Foreign Body Response to Biomaterials. Biomaterials 28(25):3626-31, 2007.
- LaPlaca, M.C., Simon, C.S., Prado, G.R., and Cullen, D.K. CNS Injury Biomechanics and Experimental Models. Chapter in Neurotrauma: New Insights into Pathology and Treatment Progress in Brain Research, vol 161; Eds. Weber and Maas Progress in Brain Research 161:13-26, 2007.
- Cullen, D.K., Lessing, M.C., and LaPlaca, M.C. Collagen-Dependent Neurite Outgrowth and Response to Dynamic Deformation in Three-Dimensional Neuronal Cultures Annals of Biomedical Engineering 35(5):835-46. 2007.
- Choi, Y., McClain, M.A., LaPlaca M.C., Frazier A.B., Allen M.G.. Three dimensional MEMS microfluidic perfusion system for thick brain slice cultures. Biomed Microdevices 9(1):7-13. 2007
- Cullen, D.K, Vukasinovic, J., Glezer, A., and LaPlaca, M.C. Microfluidic Engineered High Cell Density Three-Dimensional Neural Cultures Journal of Neural Engineering 4(2):159-172, 2007.
- Tate, C.C., Tate, M.C., LaPlaca, M.C. Fibronectin and Laminin Increase in the Mouse Brain Following Controlled Cortical Impact Injury Journal of Neurotrauma 24(1): 226-230, 2007.
- Cullen, D.K. and LaPlaca, M.C. Differential Response of Neurons Cultured in Two- Versus Three-Dimensions to High Rate Shear Deformation Journal of Neurotrauma 23(9):1304-19, 2006.