Areas of Research
- Cardiovascular Mechanobiology and Nanomedicine
- Flow regulation of atherosclerosis and aortic valve disease
- Mechano-sensitve genes, microRNAs and epigenetic regulation in endothelial function
- RNA-based nanomedicine targeting microRNAs and siRNAs
- Postdoctoral fellow at Washington University, St. Louis and University of Alabama at Birmingham, 1999-2003
- Ph.D., Pennsylvania State University, 1989
- B.A., Korea University, 1984
- 2014, Best Presenter Award, 2014 European Atherosclerosis Society Annual Meeting, Spain
- 2013, Emory 1% Award
- 2014, Elected Fellow, Biomedical Engineering Society
- 2013, Elected Fellow, American Physiological Society
- 2011, Elected Fellow, American Heart Association
- 2013-Present, John and Jan Portman Professor of Biomedical Engineering, Emory University
- 2007-2013 Ada Lee and Pete Correll Professorship in Biomedical Engineering, Emory University
- 2008, Journal of Molecular and Cellular Cardiology, Editorial Board Member
- 2013-present, Cardiovascular Engineering, Technology, Associate Editor
- 2007-2013, Cell and Molecular Bioengineering Journal, Associate Editor
- 2012-present, Frontiers in Physiology, Vascular Biology, Guest Associate Editor
- 2013-present, Physiology Journal. Associate Editor
- 2007, Outstanding Basic Science Research Award, Emory Medicine
- 1989 - 1991, The Juvenile Diabetes Foundation Postdoctoral Fellowship
- 1983 - 1984, Lee, Myung-Hun Memorial Scholarship, Korea University
- 1983, Presidential Award to the Most Outstanding Student, Korea University
Selected Research Publications
- Dunn J, Haiwei Q, Kim S, Jjingo D, Hoffman R, Kim CW, Jang I, Kim D, Pan C, Fan Y, Jordan K, and Jo H. Flow alters genome-wide methylation, regulating endothelial gene expression and atherosclerosis. J Clin Invest. 2014 124(7):3187-99.
- Tarbell, J.M., Shi, Z-D, Dunn J., Jo, H. Fluid mechanics, Arterial disease, and gene expression. Annu. Rev. Fluid Mech. 2014. 46:591–614.
- Son, DJ*, Kumar S*, Takabe W, Kim CW, Ni, C-W, Alberts-Grill N, Jang I-H, Kim S, Kim W, Kang, SW, Baker AH, Seo JW, Ferrara KW, Jo H. Atypical mechanosensitive microRNA-712 derived from pre-ribosomal RNA induces endothelial inflammation and atherosclerosis. Nature Comm. 2013 4: 3000: doi:10.1038/ncomms4000.
- Chang K, Weiss D, Suo J, Vega JD, Giddens D, Taylor WR, and Jo H. Bone morphogenic protein (BMP) antagonists are co-expressed with BMP4 in endothelial cells exposed to unstable flow in vitro, in mouse aortas and in human coronary arteries- Role of BMP antagonists in inflammation and atherosclerosis. Circulation, 116: 1258-1266, 2007.
- Miriyala S, Nieto MCG, Harrison DG, Dikalov S, and Jo H. Bone morphogenic protein 4 induces hypertension by a mechanism involving endothelial dysfunction mediated by NADPH oxidases in C57BL/6 and ApoE-deficient mice. Circulation, 113:2818-2825, 2006.
- Sorescu GP, Song, Tressel SL, Hwang J, Dikalov S, Smith DA, Boyd NL, Platt MO, Lassègue B, Griendling KK, and Jo H. Bone morphogenic protein 4 produced in endothelial cells by oscillatory shear stress induces monocyte adhesion by stimulating reactive oxygen species production from a nox1-based NADPH oxidase. Circ Res, 95:773-9, 2004.