Areas of Research
Biomechanics and mechanobiology, with focus on: glaucoma, including studies of aqueous humour drainage and optic nerve head biomechanics; mechanobiology of osteoarthritis; flow in the cardiovascular system; relationship between hemodynamics and arterial disease.
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1986
- S.M., Mechanical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1983
- M.Math, Mathematics, University of Waterloo, 1982
- B.S., Queens University, 1980
- 2012, Fellow of the City and Guilds Institute
- 2009, Fellow of the International Academy of Medical and Biological Engineering
- 2009, Fellow of the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology
- 2007, Fellow of the American Institute Medical and Biological Engineering
- 2006, Fellow of the American Society of Mechanical Engineering
- 2000-2007, Canada Research Chair (Tier I)
- 1997-1999, E.W.R. Steacie Fellowship
- 1999, Alexander von Humboldt Fellowship
Selected Research Publications
- MA Van Doormaal, A Kazakidi, M Wylezinska, A Hunt, JL Tremoleda, A Protti, Y Borhaus, W Gsell, PD Weinberg, CR Ethier, “Hemodynamics in the mouse aortic arch computed from MRI-derived velocities at the aortic root”, J Royal Soc Interface, July 2012.
- WD Stamer, Y Lei, A Boussommier-Calleja, D Overby, CR Ethier, “eNOS, a Pressure-Dependent Regulator of Intraocular Pressure", Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, Vol. 52, pp. 9438-9444, 2011.
- Y Lei, DR Overby, WD Stamer, CR Ethier, “Outflow physiology of the mouse eye: pressure dependence and ‘washout’”, Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, Vol. 52, pp. 1865-1871, 2011.
- IA Sigal, JG Flanagan, CR Ethier, “Factors influencing optic nerve head biomechanics“, Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science, Volume: 46, Issue: 11, Pages: 4189-4199, DOI: 10.1167/iovs.05-0541, Published: NOV 2005.
- CR Ethier, M Johnson, J Ruberti, “Ocular biomechanics and biotransport“, Annual Review Of Biomedical Engineering, Volume: 6, Pages: 249-273, DOI: 10.1146/annurev.bioeng.6.040803.140055, Published: 2004.
- J Gottanka, D Chan, M Eichhorn, et al., “Effects of TGF-beta 2 in perfused human eyes”, Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science, Volume: 45, Issue: 1, Pages: 153-158, DOI: 10.1167/iovs.03-0796, Published: JAN 2004.
- JG Myers, JA Moore, M Ojha, et al., “Factors influencing blood flow patterns in the human right coronary artery”, Annals of Biomedical Engineering, Volume: 29, Issue: 2, Pages: 109-120, DOI:10.1114/1.1349703, Published: FEB 2001.
- CR Ethier, RD Kamm, BA Palaszewski, BA; et al., “Calculations of flow resistance in the juxtacanalicular meshwork”, Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science, Volume: 27, Issue: 12, Pages: 1741-1750, Published: DEC 1986.