Areas of Research
Tissue remodeling in arteries due to sickle cell disease or HIV-infection, roles of proteases in tumor metastasis, and bone marrow-derived stem cell based therapies.
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2006-2008
- Ph.D., Georgia Institute of Technology and Emory University, 2006
- B.S., Morehouse College, 2001
- 2010, NIH Director's New Innovator Award
- 2009, Georgia Cancer Coalition Distinguished Cancer Scholar
- 2008, FACES Career Initiation Grant
- 2007, UNCF/Merck Postdoctoral Science Research Fellowship
- 2006, FACES Portable Postdoctoral Fellowship
- 2003, NASA Harriett G. Jenkins Predoctoral Fellowship
- 2001, David and Lucile Packard Foundation Fellowship
Selected Research Publications
- Barabino GA, Platt MO, Kaul DK. Sickle Cell Biomechanics. Annu Rev Biomed Eng. 2010 Aug 15;12:345-67. PubMed PMID: 20455701.
- Li WA, Barry ZT, Cohen JD, Wilder CL, Deeds RJ, Keegan PM, Platt MO. Detection of femtomole quantities of mature cathepsin K with zymography. Anal Biochem. 2010 Mar 3. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 20206119.
- Platt MO, Wilder CL, Wells A, Griffith LG, Lauffenburger DA. Multipathway kinase signatures of multipotent stromal cells are predictive for osteogenic differentiation: tissue-specific stem cells. Stem Cells. 2009 Nov;27(11):2804-14. PubMed PMID: 19750537.
- Platt MO, Roman AJ, Wells A, Lauffenburger DA, Griffith LG. Sustained epidermal growth factor receptor levels and activation by tethered ligand binding enhances osteogenic differentiation of multi-potent marrow stromal cells. J Cell Physiol. 2009 Nov;221(2):306-17. PubMed PMID: 19544388.
- Platt MO, Ankeny RF, Shi GP, Weiss D, Vega JD, Taylor WR, Jo H. “Expression of cathepsin K is regulated by shear stress in cultured endothelial cells and is increased in endothelium in human atherosclerosis.” Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2007 Mar;292(3):H1479-86. Epub 2006 Nov 10.