Mark G. Allen, Ph.D.
Senior Vice Provost for Research and Innovation
Joseph M. Pettit Professor
Wallace H. Coulter Dept. of Biomedical Engineering
Georgia Institute of Technology and Emory University
Atlanta, GA 30332-0535
Location: GT: MiRC 120, Carnegie Bldg - 027
Google Scholar: CLICK HERE
Areas of Research
Micromachining, Microsensor and microactuator fabrication compatible with the IC fabrication and Microelectromechanical systems (MEMS)
- University of Pennsylvania in 1983: the B.A. in Chemistry, the B.S.E. in Chemical Engineering, and the B.S.E. in Electrical Engineering.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, where he received the S.M. degree in Chemical Engineering and the Ph.D. degree in the field of microelectronics.
- 2007 American Electronics Association Spirit of Endeavor Award
- 2006 Company of the Year Award from Small Times Magazine for CardioMEMS
- 2006 Frost and Sullivan Patient Monitoring Product Innovation of the Year Award for CardioMEMS
- 2005 Georgia Tech Outstanding Leadership for the Development of Graduate Research Assistants Award
Selected Research Publications
- J. Joy, J. Kroh, M. Ellis, M.G. Allen, and W. Pyle, "Communicating with Implanted Wireless Sensor," U.S. Patent 7,245,117, issued July 2007.
- S. Rajaraman, M.A. McClain, S.-O. Choi, J.D. Ross, S.P. DeWeerth, M.C. LaPlaca, and M.G. Allen, "Three-Dimensional Metal Transfer Micromolded Microelectrode Arrays for In-Vitro Brain Slice Recordings," Proc. 14th International Conference on Solid-State Sensors, Actuators and Microsystems (Transducers ‘07), Lyon, France, June 2007.
- X. Wu, H. Zhu, and M.G. Allen, "A Pneumatically Actuated Endoskeletal Microbubble Array as a Refreshable Braille Cell," Proc. 14th International Conference on Solid-State Sensors, Actuators and Microsystems (Transducers ‘07), Lyon, France, June 2007.
- M.R. Prausnitz, M.G. Allen, and I.-J. Gujral, "Microneedle drug delivery device," U.S. Patent 7,226,439, issued June 2007.
- P. Galle, X. Wu, L. Milner, S.-H. Kim, P. Johnson, P. Smeys, P. Hopper, K. Hwang, and M.G. Allen, "Ultra-Compact Power Conversion Based on a CMOS-Compatible Microfabricated Power Inductor With Minimized Core Losses," Proc. 57th IEEE Electronic Components and Technology Conference, Reno, NV, May 2007.
- Y. Zhao, Y.-K. Yoon, and M.G. Allen, "Metal-Transfer-Micromolded RF Components for System-On-Package (SOP)," Proc. 57th IEEE Electronic Components and Technology Conference, Reno, NV, May 2007.
- M.G. Allen, Y.K. Yoon, J.W. Park, Y.H. Joung, F. Cros, I. Papapolymerou, E. Tentzeris, and B. Pan, "Surface Micromachined Millimeter-Scale RF System and Method," U.S. Patent 7,196,666, issued March 27, 2007.
- S. Rajaraman, S.-O. Choi, R. H. Shafer, J. D. Ross, J. Vukasinovic, Y. Choi, S.P. DeWeerth, A. Glezer, and M.G. Allen., "Microfabrication technologies for a coupled three-dimensional microelectrode, microfluidic array," Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 163-71 (2007).
- M.G. Allen, M. Fonseca, J. White, J.Kroh, and D. Stern, "High Q-Factor Sensor," U.S. Patent 7,147,604, issued December 12, 2006.
- D.J. Coe, M.G. Allen, C.S. Rinehart, and A. Glezer, "Pneumatically actuated micromachined synthetic jet modulators," Sensors and Actuators A (Physical), vol. 132, no. 2, pp. 689-700, 2006.
- Y. Wang, G. Yuan, Y.-K. Yoon, M.G. Allen, and S.A. Bidstrup, "Optimization of synthetic jet fluidic structures in printed wiring boards," Transactions of the ASME, Journal of Electronic Packaging, vol. 128, no. 4, pp. 353-9, 2006.
- B. Pan, Y.-K. Yoon, G.E. Ponchak, M.G. Allen, J. Papapolymerou, and M.M. Tentzeris, "Analysis and Characterization of a High-Performance Ka-Band Surface Micromachined Elevated Patch Antenna," Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, vol. 5, issue 1, pp. 511-514, 2006.