Areas of Research
healthcare robotics, autonomous robot manipulation, human-robot interaction
- Ph.D., Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2005
- M.Eng, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1998
- B.S., Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1997
Best paper award, 2006 IEEE/RAS International Conference on Humanoid Robots
Selected Research Publications
- Aaron Edsinger and Charles C. Kemp. Human-robot interaction for cooperative manipulation: handing objects to one another. Proceedings of the 16th IEEE International Symposium on Robot and Human Interactive Communication (RO-MAN), 2007.
- Aaron Edsinger and Charles C. Kemp. Two arms are better than one: a behavior-based control system for assistive bimanual manipulation. Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Advanced Robotics (ICAR), 2007.
- Charles C. Kemp, Aaron Edsinger, and Eduardo Torres-Jara. Challenges for robot manipulation in human environments. IEEE Robotics & Automation Magazine, (Volume 14, Issue 1), pg 20-29, March 2007.
- Charles C. Kemp. Wearables and robots: a shared view. IEEE Pervasive Computing. (Vol. 5, No.3), pg 16-20, July-September 2006.
- Aaron Edsinger and Charles C. Kemp. Manipulation in human environments. Proceedings of the IEEE/RAS International Conference on Humanoid Robots (Humanoids06), 2006.
- Charles C. Kemp and Aaron Edsinger. What can I control?: The development of visual categories for a robot's body and the world that it influences. 5th IEEE International Conference on Development and Learning: Special Session on Perceptual Systems and their Development (ICDL5), 2006.
- Charles C. Kemp and Aaron Edsinger. Robot manipulation of human tools: autonomous detection and control of task relevant features. 5th IEEE International Conference on Development and Learning: Special Session on Classifying Activities in Manual Tasks (ICDL5), 2006.
- Rodney Brooks, Lijin Aryananda, Aaron Edsinger, Paul Fitzpatrick, Charles Kemp, Una-May O'Reilly, Eduardo Torres-Jara, Paulina Varshavskaya, and Jeff Weber. Sensing and manipulating built-for-human environments. International Journal of Humanoid Robotics, 1:1, pp. 1-28, 2004.
- Paul Fitzpatrick and Charles C. Kemp. Shoes as a platform for vision. International Symposium on Wearable Computing (ISWC), White Plains, NY, 2003.
- Cynthia Breazeal and Charles C. Kemp. An ontogenetic perspective to scaling sensorimotor intelligence. AAAI Fall Symposium: Embodied Cognition and Action, 1996.